Friday, September 19, 2014

Birthdays and GYRIG

This is something I don't generally talk about it, especially since I've moved to Arizona.

But as my birthday is coming up, I wanted to talk about what I want this year.
I usually don't ask for much in life except to meet One Direction in real life. But this is something thatyou, whoever might be reading this, might be able to help me with.

5 years ago today, September 19, 2009 my mom lost her battle with cancer after fighting it for 8 years.

And it doesn't seem possible that it was 5 years ago because I can remember every little detail as if it were yesterday.

As some of you may know, my birthday is September 21. I've never been one to celebrate my birthday or to make a big deal out of it because, well I don't have the best memories from past birthdays.

My mom was diagnosed with cancer late August in 2001. I remember I found out when I got home from school. It was the first high school football game of the season and I went with my best friend at the time, Abby and stayed with her that night.
I remember I had this purple pocket mirror with sparkles and a flower on it and it broke. I was so upset because that meant 7 years of bad luck....irony and foreshadowing.

The best gift I received for my 12th birthday was that she came home from the hospital.

Right before my 16th birthday, she had major surgery and I remember the best gift I received that year was that she survived. I'll always remember meeting Thomas Hogan before she went in for surgery. He was her anesthesiologist and he came out and talked to us about how he would be monitoring her life the whole time and would do everything he could to make sure she came out okay. That was when I knew I wanted to become an anesthesiologist.

Obviously that didn't pan out ... sales, medical doctor, same thing right?

And I'll always remember when the surgeon came in to tell us that everything went according to plan.
I was in a room with my dad, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins. It was a terrifying happiness and that was all I wanted for my birthday that year.

Some of you might wonder why I keep posting this birthday song on Facebook. Well it was a song my mom came up with (she was very corny that way) and she sang it to me pretty much every day in the month of September up until my birthday.
I remember my dad was able to sing it with her one last time when it was one more week til Jenna's birthday, doo dah, doo dah.

 On my 20th birthday, me dad and Jared went to Davenport and ate at Red Robin which was one of my favorite places to go. It was the first time it was just the 3 of us as a family. After lunch, we went to he mall to look for a dress to wear for the funeral.
It was also the day they posted her obituary.

My gift for my 20th birthday was a Tiffany&Co necklace that I had wanted. I knew what it was before I opened it because I saw that Tiffany blue box on my dad's dresser. Apparently he didn't realize it was an iconic thing.

So now it's 2014 and I will be 25 years old and this is what I would like this year.

Please go to my fundraising page and make a donation to this year's Get Your Rear in Gear. This is a 5k race that promotes colon cancer awareness as well as prevention.
If you are wondering what your contribution will go to, here it is directly from the site:

Seventy-five percent of net proceeds received through our Get Your Rear in Gear races go back to local communities.  Other gifts support national programming, survivor and caregiver initiatives.

This is the 4th year my dad has hosted this event in Muscatine, Iowa. He has worked so hard to help raise funds for our community. The race is this Saturday, September 20.








The 2013 Get Your Rear In Gear event for $12,250 to Jim Hayes at Trinity-Unity Point.




It would mean the world to me and my family if you could make a small contribution for my birthday.

The support my family receives is unbelievable and I wish I could be there this year.

As always, thanks for reading and we'll see you again soon!


Sincerely,





2 comments:

  1. It was a great race. Made a donation. You are a very awesome young lady! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I simply couldn’t depart your site before suggesting that I really enjoyed the usual information an individual supply in your visitors? Is going to be again steadily to check out new posts.

    Best IELTS Coaching Center in Chennai | IELTS Training Centers in Chennai | IELTS Coaching Classes in Chennai

    ReplyDelete