Sunday, April 21, 2013

VEISHEA (if you can't spell it correctly, you don't belong)





Iowa State University is home to the infamous VEISHEA celebration.

VEISHEA is an annual celebration at ISU each spring. It is a ongoing long tradition for Iowa State Students and alumni to showcase the Iowa State community.

I'm sure most schools have some kind of event that celebrates their school and everything, but in the great state of Iowa, VEISHEA is amongst the highest talked about events in the state.

VEISHEA stands for the original colleges of Iowa State.

Veterinary Medicine
Engineering
Industrial Science
Home Economics
Agriculture

And I would say that most students that attend ISU would agree when I say that VEISHEA is better during the week compared to the weekend.

I mean let's be real, VEISHEA is a great celebration important to our school, but students see it as a week long party. But, I would much rather go out every single day during the week than go out on Friday and Saturday of VEISHEA because of the madness!!!

It really "grinds my gears" when non ISU students come to celebrate VEISHEA, ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY CAN'T SPELL IT RIGHT!!!!

a lot of the time it's due to the fact that many people make veishea shirts or party items but VEISHEA is a trademarked name so people use vishea or veshea or veisha instead to avoid lawsuits

but most people would be like, why do people care so much?

I grew up a Hawkeye fan and never thought I would go to ISU and love everything about it. And now as an alumni, I take great pride in my school and as do lots of people. And when people from all over come to Ames for the one weekend and trashes the streets on Welch, or starts riots and fires or FLIPS OVER A CAR, it ruins the fun for ISU students.




It truly does. Especially in the past when they decided to take VEISHEA away from ISU because of all the riots. And when I think of all the deaths that have occurred in Ames because of the craziness that is VEISHEA, it makes me really sad...especially when they are not ISU students.



And for us Cyclones who knows the history of VEISHEA, can tell you what it means, how to spell it, and actually care about our school, it's hard not to be frustrated and annoyed by out of town students...especially those that go to Iowa!
Iowa vs Iowa State has always been an ongoing, "friendly" rivalry. But when you have hawkeye fans who talk mad sh*t about the Cyclones but want to come and "celebrate" VEISHEA? umm no, I don't think so. VEISHEA is meant to celebrate Iowa State and if you hate ISU...then LEAVE.

  


But what else I love about VEISHEA is that it's not just drinking and having huge parties. There are so many different things VEISHEA offers its students like the parade, or Stars over Veishea, live bands, carnival rides, and the my favorite part, the food trucks on campus!! I won't lie, one year I ate 2 feet worth of corn dogs....it was very good.

But anyway,

I just wanted to put my 2 cents out there. VEISHEA attracts people from all over and it will continue to be that way. But my main point of this story, is that there is a lot of spirit and school pride that goes into this event and when it's unenjoyable because of the extra people who don't care about ISU, it is disheartening.

I wonder if this is how Mexicans feel about all the white people who celebrate Cinco de Mayo.
It's like....
if Christmas was a huge party and then a bunch of atheists arrive to join the party just so they can go out, but doesn't understand/appreciate the true story/meaning of Christmas

It's like....
fairweather sports fans who don't know squat about baseball

Unfortunately I did not get to participate in any VEISHEA events this year, but hopefully I will be back again.

This is the end of my rant.


Sincerely,














No comments:

Post a Comment