Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Healthy, Healthy, Healthy!

So basically I am one of those people who struggle with their weight. Let's be real, who isn't one of those people (and if you are part of that 1% then I hate you).
I've always been the type that will lose 5 pounds and then gain 10, and then lose 15 pounds and then gain 20. My weight can fluctuate between 10-20 pounds within a month!
Since I've decided to make blogging part of my new year's resolution, I figured why not blog about health and weight loss! After all, I do have my B.S. in Kinesiology, Community and Public Health (BS indeed).
I went out and I bought myself a book, actually a couple books.
(Yes this is what I generally look like when I blog. pretty, huh?)

I had a 50 minute commute to work everyday and although I love listening to One Direction I kind of wanted something else to listen to on my way to work. It was then that I discovered Podcasts. I started listening to Jillian Michael's Podcast and I was hooked. It was informative, inspirational, funny and made me feel motivated. As she discusses many times and as I have discussed with myself, there is always something behind why you are gaining weight. Simply put, weight loss or weight gain is "calories in vs. calories out." If you are burning more calories than you are eating and have enough of a calorie deficit, then boom! Weight loss. But it is a lot trickier than that once you factor in hormones and genetics and your body's natural instinct to survive.

So it's easy to say, "okay, if I workout 30 minutes a day and limit myself to 1200 calories a day then I should lose weight." But 4 weeks later the scale doesn't move and probably because you haven't moved either.

If you've ever wondered why can't I lose weight, there's a pretty simple yet complex explanation behind it. There's always that something that is holding us back. Most of the time it is fear or anxiety, but there is always something. It's trying to discover what that "thing" is that's the hard part.
For example, I know that if I want to lose weight all I need to do is go to the gym right now instead of laying in bed on my computer all day. But I'll stay here and next thing I know it's 9 pm and the gym's closed. What kept me from going to the gym? I don't have anything to do and it's a 2 minute walk away from my apartment, what's the problem?
Why I loved Jillian's podcasts was because it gave you both sides of wellness and weight loss, the scientific side and the emotional side. And for most people it's the emotional side that we struggle with.

So I bought her book "Unlimited" and I hope to start reading it soon.
The other book I bought was her "Master Your Metabolism" The 3 Diet Secrets to Naturally Balancing Your Hormones for A Hot and Health Body!
I decided to get this book because this is the scientific reasoning behind losing that last 10 pounds or the really stubborn fat because it's more than just calories in and calories out.

The last book I bought was the Flat Belly Diet Cookbook from the editors of Prevention.

I wanted to get a cook book and I had looked through several at Barnes and Noble and I thought I'd give this one a go. I'm going to try and post some pictures and recipes onto my blog and so you the reader can join me in my adventure of cooking! And maybe I'll do better if I have a food diary on here. It'll be like a Julie and Julia thing, but better.


Thanks for reading :)


Sincerely,



No comments:

Post a Comment